Dreamcatcher won’t power ‘satellite finder’
I had some trouble pointing at the satellite (through trees, though it is winter and there are no leaves on them). I tried to connect one of those inexpensive ‘sat finder’ boxes with an analog meter to the Dreamcatcher to see if I could use it to make fine adjustments to the LNB and peak the signal. However it seems that the Dreamcatcher can’t power the finder, it shuts down.I assume I can power the finder from a battery, but do I want to run it at 13V or 18V (RHCP/LHCP)? Is this kind of meter even appropriate to use with this type of LNB and satellite signal?

https://www.dishpointer.com/
Can you show a picture of the meter? Are you planning on using it with a dish? The 14V requirement isn’t a problem, but the matter can’t see the specific Othernet carrier unless you are using a dish. With a bare LNB, the meter will see signals from about 10 different satellites
Cheap meters are not very useful. If there is insufficient power from the dc the way to use them is to connect to a satellite receiver or a power source for the LNB. They are broadband anyway so he fact that the outernet signal is small is immaterial as you are looking for the satellite which has a lot of other loud transponders on it. Dish alignment is an art and gets progressively harder the larger the dish. With no dish at all it should be very easy. I bought a cheap satellite meter from LIDL to lend to people who want to borrow one, as they are not getting their grubby hands on my expensive meters You can get a quite decent satlink meter from Banggood for around $80 which will show signal strength and qualiy for individual transponders. I find mine good for aligning dishes for BBC tv off 27w as the signal is BISS encrypted.

No comments:
Post a Comment
A discussion group about this subject.
.
Digital Ham Radio / Amateur Radio
https://groups.io/g/DigitalHamRADIO
Amateur Radio Users Support Group
https://groups.io/g/AmateurRadio
.