I’m asking just because I do not really have an understanding of what is occurring on the uplink side of Othernet…“can Othernet be considered a SHTF solution…really?”
My concern is that the uplink is being fed via an internet link and Othernet doesn’t currently have the ability to send content directly to the satellite.
Most if not all of the content that is being distributed via Othernet is being pulled FROM the internet, either via RSS feeds, or other sites. Should the internet go dark…what will Othernet have access to?
Would it be possible to test and prepare for senerios in which internet connectivity is interrupted for Othernet on a routine basis (monthly test with a feed of some kind)
Thanks. In a SHTF scenario I can see Othernet as being THE goto source for news, updates, and content if it is available. Having access to weather, news, messages, radio would be absolutely invaluable.
Reply:
These comments are very interesting and well worth considering. Yes, what if Othernet was the only source of information I would receive? Where would that information come from? With no Internet, we Forum members would not be able to contribute anything, so that presumes Syed’s team needs to have a fall back emergency plan.
Would it be possible to test and prepare for senerios in which internet connectivity is interrupted for Othernet on a routine basis (monthly test with a feed of some kind)
Thanks. In a SHTF scenario I can see Othernet as being THE goto source for news, updates, and content if it is available. Having access to weather, news, messages, radio would be absolutely invaluable.
Reply:
These comments are very interesting and well worth considering. Yes, what if Othernet was the only source of information I would receive? Where would that information come from? With no Internet, we Forum members would not be able to contribute anything, so that presumes Syed’s team needs to have a fall back emergency plan.
https://forums.othernet.is/t/can-othernet-be-considered-a-shtf-solution/6851
Syed is a amateur radio operator and also has portable equipment uplink the SES-4 satellite over North America so that works in most situations where SES cant do the work for him.
Just remember that amateur radio and satellite will still work in any natural or societal crash and burn, commercial shortwave stations will still probably around too outside of the problem areas.
Here is info on SES 4.
https://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=6153
I could never track it, for it’s minus 13.8 degrees below my horizon !
No comments:
Post a Comment
A discussion group about this subject.
.
Digital Ham Radio / Amateur Radio
https://groups.io/g/DigitalHamRADIO
Amateur Radio Users Support Group
https://groups.io/g/AmateurRadio
.